Our contact details
Main point of contact for data protection matters: Christine Ashby
Telephone: 01404 814303
61 Mill Street
Ottery St Mary
Devon EX11 1AB
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority no. 406307
What type of information we have
While advising and/or acting for you we may collect, hold and use the following categories of information:
- Information about you (name, address, telephone number, email address)
- Information about your finances including your National Insurance number, bank details, pension arrangements (for example where we are advising on or dealing with your tax affairs)
- Details about your family and other beneficiaries (for example if we are advising on or making a will or power of attorney for you)
- Health and care information (for example if we are acting as attorney or deputy for you)
How we get the information and why we do we have it
Most of the information we hold will be collected from you, our client.
We may also collect and hold information from third parties. This would usually be with your consent, and could include information from your accountant or financial adviser, your GP, a social worker, HMRC, the Office of the Public Guardian, the Court of Protection, the Land Registry.
We collect this information in order to carry out work on your behalf and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
The lawful bases for collecting and holding this information are performance of a contract, or necessary step prior to entering into a contract, compliance with a legal obligation and, in some circumstances, consent.
In circumstances where we hold information on the basis of consent, you have a right to withdraw your consent and can do so by contacting us on the above contact details. Please note, there may be situations where we are legally required to continue to hold information provided to us.
What we do with the information
In order to carry out work on your behalf we may share information with third parties, where it is necessary to do so, or we have your consent to do so. This could include government agencies (eg HMRC, the Office of the Public Guardian, the Court of Protection, the Land Registry), professional advisers, other professionals (eg GP, estate agent, social worker).
How we store your information
Information we hold is stored in paper and electronic files at our offices at 61 Mill Street, Ottery St Mary Devon EX11 1AB.
Information is stored whilst we are acting for you, and will continue to be held in compliance with our legal and regulatory obligations. This varies depending on the nature of the work, and all files will be individually assessed before being securely destroyed.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
The Information Commissioner’s Office website has more information on the scope of these rights and when they apply.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us using the contact details above if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any queries or concerns we hope that we can resolve these and can be contacted at any time using the contact details above.
You also have the right to complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113